1963 – DMW DEEMSTER POLICE – 250
Founded in the late 1930s, Dawson’s Motors Wolverhampton (DMW), commenced production of a range of Villiers-powered lightweights in 1950. A scooter, the 98cc Bambi, had been added to the range by 1960, but DMW’s next offering in this category would be more unusual. First seen in 1961, the Deemster was intended to combine the riding position and handling characteristics of a conventional motorcycle with scooter-type weather protection and enclosures. The Deemster’s twin-cylinder Villiers 250cc 2T engine was located centrally, in the motorcycle position, rather then scooter-style at the rear, while the interchangeable wheels were 12” in diameter. The frame was made up from a combination of round and square-section tubing to which a large fabricated box was attached, supporting the seat and rear dampers while providing sufficient luggage space to accomodate two crash helmets. Standard and De Luxe versions were offered, the latter equipped electric starter. With its tall screen, twin headlamps, generously sized leg shields and voluminous front midguard, the Deemster was certainly eye-catching. A Police version arrived for 1963 and the Deemster continued to be built until the cessation of DMW roadster production in 1966, by which time the Velocette Viceroy engine was being offered alongside the Villiers 4T. One of only 33 Police-specification Deemsters made, this Viceroy-engined, shaft-driven example shown here, is reputed the last Viceroy unit manufactured.
Design: DMW Design Dept.
Provenience: CMM Collezione Motociclistica Milanese